Whole House Generator
If blackouts are common in your area, you can buy a whole house generator (whole house standby generator) to tackle the problem. Generally, there are two type of generators used in homes, one that is run by gas, other by liquid fuel (propane or natural gas). These can be classified based on their power level, some can run limited electrical items, while powerful ones can run whole house. A good standby generator can power the house for as long as 12 to 24 hours without stopping, but the question is why you should buy one?
Whole House Standby Generator Advantages
• They are automatic, fast, and great to have when power lines aren’t working in your area
• You will have comfort level at home in stormy or emergency situations
• Your food supplies will be fresh in refrigerator during extended power failures
• There are some units that conduct self-diagnosis and alert you of problems
• Fuel can last many days or for weeks
• It allow normal operation of your business, home, or air conditioning when there is no electricity
• There are standby generators which disconnect from power line during failures. Isolating the utilities from possible danger.
Before Buying a Whole House Generator
• Before buying you should decide some critical elements that will help you choose the best option for your home. There are electrical items such as freezers, furnaces, and refrigerators, based on these make sure to determine what will suite you.
• Most generators that are above 5000 wat power use pull cord, so if it seems hard then you should consider electrical start.
• If you want to use it for whole house for long time, buy a generator that uses natural gas and petroleum as source of power.
• Some people prefer generators that come with built in transfer switch, you can turn it on when power turns off.
• Installation may require a lot of space for the unit, it will be near electrical switches so make sure there is space for your generator.
What more to look for?
A good whole house generator will cost from $1,200.00 to upwards of $5,000.00. It can be connected with your home circuits to eliminate risk and hassle of cords. You will need to setup a system so that when power returns, it doesn’t cause damage to your internal wiring. This setup can be integrated with the help of a technician, so before buying make sure to consult with an expert.
If there is too much electrical breakdown then you need more than one source of power for the generators. A portable generator will take 8 to 22 Gallons per day so buying one with gas is a good option. Running it on gas may reduce its lifespan, but the cost of fuel will be reduced.
There are some standby generators with smart features such as automatic switching and oil change detectors. These features can come handy, you can choose one that has digital screen with LED indicators.
If you would like to read more about the benefit of a Generator for storm season.